Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We saved a male cat last year - we name m Lenny. Lenny is…

Customer Question
Hello, We saved a male cat...
We saved a male cat last year - we name him Lenny. Lenny is between 2-4 years old and white, with a little gray on the head. Lenny has polyps in the ears; some have been removed, but a lot are still deep in the vestibular canals. He also was diagnosed with stomatitis. He has since had full oral extraction (except two lower canines that could be saved). It has been almost six weeks since the surgery. His ear has become infected, took him to the vet yesterday. Vet found mouth is still very inflamed; could lead to cancer. Vet administered a slow-release antibiotic and steroids. Lenny has to be put under for each visit, as he will not let anyone near him. If you would be so kind as to advise as to whether there is any treatment for this little guy, it would be greatly appreciated. We do want to bring him home, but want to make the best decisions for him.
I look forward to your response.
Thank you.
Stephanie Wicks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/12/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the questions. It's a good thing you're doing for this guy.

I would just be as aggressive as possible to cure these issues. The stomatitis is essentially cured with full mouth extractions. I would remove the remaining teeth if there are 2 left and inflammation still present.

If there are still polyps in the ears and debris in the ears, then I would do a TECABO on both sides. This is where the ear canal is removed and the bulla cleaned out. This removes any inflamed tissue. It's the only cure for these recurrent polyps and ear infections.

If the attitude is all due to pain, you may find that the surgeries make him much more handleable at the vet from now on. No promises, but it's possible.

Here is a nice handout on the TECABO surgery for more info:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1708

And one on stomatitis:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1323

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.