How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 3924
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my cat just are a 200 mg advil but I'm not 100%

Customer Question

I think my cat just are a 200 mg advil but I'm not 100% sure. What should I do??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your situation! Unfortunately Advil can be quite toxic to cats. The safest thing to do if you think he ingested this pill is to get him to an emergency clinic ASAP so that they can induce vomiting and treat him for possible toxicity.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If it is just one advil, and your cat is larger than 5 pounds, hopefully it will just be gastrointestinal side effects that could result from this ingestion. But is is possible to see kidney toxicity in ibuprofen ingestion. Most commonly it would be seen in a cat ingesting more than 88mg per kg of body weight of ibuprofen, but some may be more sensitive than others and so it is best to play it safe by taking them in for exam and treatment if needed.