Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My Name is ***** *****, I have a 7 year old Devon Rex Male

Customer Question
has an upper respiratory infection...
My Name is ***** *****, I have a 7 year old Devon Rex Male has an upper respiratory infection, possibly a herpes virus that he caught from a new devon rex kitten we adopted from a local breeder. He's been on, antibiotics terramyicin oinment and L-Lysine. He's had it for 6 weeks, with an occassional fever and the usual symptoms. Last week we noticed he has lost alot of hair on his chest and around his ears (we compared to a recent photo and there's a remarkable hair loss) Could this hair loss be caused by a adverse reaction to the L-lysine supplement?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is very lethargic, however he is still eating and drinking. He had a fever one day of 103 and also limping, my Vet couldn't offer a solution for the hair loss or the limping, I have since learned there is a "limping syndrome" with this virus. The limping is gone, but he is still very lethargic.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/12/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr B, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

HI this is dRB and I would be happy to help you with this......the hair loss is not a reaction to the l-lysine......however if you have a new kitten you could possibly have introduced ringworm to your cat. Many kittens carry this and will have no signs of disease but can spread it to other cats. I would definitely have a fungal culture done to figure out if this has occurred.

In addition,I would not administer anymore antibiotics unless he has a nasal discharge that is green or yellow. If it is clear then he does not need antibiotics. Make sure he is taking at least 500 mg daily of the lysine and also add Vetriscience DMG given at 1/2 ml twice daily to help with immune support.This ca nbe given indefinitely. I would also have a CBC and fungal culture done. I hope this helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated.Thank you very much

Let me know if you need further help. DRB

If you have other questions feel free to leave them here as I check my computer every night and will be happy to get back to you tomorrow night. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much!!

Just checking back in to see if you need further help. Will check back tonight. Sincerely, DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian