Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Cat is sneezing a few times a day weeks- is it a cold? Or

Customer Question

cat is sneezing a few times a day for several weeks- is it a cold? Or what?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The great majority of sneezing cats are suffering from the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) which can also cause a conjunctivitis and laryngitis. In most cases, these cats will remiss unaided within 3 weeks. I rarely treat them unless they become inappetent and require supplemental fluids given by needle and force-feeding of a very rich syringeable food. In the unusual cases in which symptoms worsen, the antiviral drug famciclovir can be considered. Cats don't suffer from cold viruses such as we do but FHV-1 and calicivirus are significant concerns as are the bacterial infections caused by Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila. These, too, however are expected to remiss unaided within 3 weeks. If I can confirm the presence of these bacteria, I might prescribe the antibiotic doxycline - the antibiotic of choice. PCR testing (a DNA-based test) is the most sensitive. It's pricey but the best choice of tests. Allergic rhinitis ("hay fever") is poorly recognized in cats but it should remain on my differential diagnosis list.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you were right, the sneezing stopped soon after getting your answer.

Thank you for the good update! I'll take full credit for that. (smile)

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.