Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has tapeworms and my vet gave me 2 drontal tablets.

Customer Question
my cat has tapeworms and...
my cat has tapeworms and my vet gave me 2 drontal tablets . she weighs 15lbs. I gave her both of them without thinking. have I overdose and will it hurt her. She is 12 yrs old
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/4/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 years ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Well, she is a large cat. So, it is quite possible the dose was supposed to be both tablets!

But, let's say you were supposed to give only one. No, I am not worried about toxcity at all from the extra dose.

The label of the medication should have clearly indicated how much to give. If they gave you the tablets without a prescription label, that is less than ideal.

So, no worries.

My only extra recommendation is that I generally always recommend repeating a deworming in 2 weeks. So, I would as for more in a few weeks to retreat to help ensure the problem is resolved.

Hope that infomation helps!

Dr. Andy, Medical Director