Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My kittens 3rd eyelid is showing, she's was moving her head…

Customer Question
My kittens 3rd eyelid is...
My kittens 3rd eyelid is showing, she's was moving her head back and forth slowly, and seems a little off balance
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/3/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello this is Dr. Holloway.

Angela I see you have a sick kitty here. Kanu is displaying some very strong signs of a neurological disorder. The 3rd eyelid elevation symptom is commonly related to trauma or infections of the brachial plexus (nerve bundles in the axilla- armpit that is on the same side as the elevated 3rd eyelid).

this can happen out of nowhere, she was fine earlier before I went to bed
Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes, typically signs of brachial plexus avulsion are abrupt. Especially if kitty had a traumatic event that injured this area.

I would monitor her for tonight. This is not a true emergency event; however, I would go ahead and schedule an appointment with your vet if her signs continue tomorrow. She would then get a thorough neurological exam and testing to differentiate whether there was trauma or an infectious process going on internally.- Dr. H

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

Poor kitty. I wish I had more information that this. But for neurological disorders there are typically some involved testing required to come up with a true diagnosis. Angela you definitely need more testing done if Kanu's symptoms continue.

In the meantime you can give your Kitty some Dramamine to help with disorientation. Sometimes if kitties are too off balance this can lead to vomiting, nausea and inappetance. -Dr. H

Thank you Dr.H
Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

You are very welcome Angela. If you have any further questions or concerns for me then please don't hesitate to ask ok? I wish your kitty the best of luck! Take care of that fur baby!

If you would please give me a positive rating at this time by clicking on the "Rate my Expert" button at the top, so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks and have a good night!- Dr. H