Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has tiny lumps under s chin. I looked at a few that I…

Customer Question
My cat has tiny lumps...
My cat has tiny lumps under his chin. I looked at a few that I have taken off under a magnifier, but could not determine what they were. It looks like tiny scabs, but they are hard to remove. What could this be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/2/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Tiny bumps under the chin of a cat, especially if they look black or like tiny scabs, is a condition called feline acne. The process is very similar to human acne. First the pores under the chin get plugged then they rupture like human pimples. Unlike humans the pimples spend almost no time in the yellow pus phase which is why they go immediately to the scabbed phase. If this area is not incredibly itchy, or has open draining wounds then nothing needs to be done, in most cats this comes and goes without treatment just like in humans. If large open sores form then at that point antibiotics will be needed. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian