Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is throwing up every thing she eat,not much going to…

Customer Question
my cat is throwing up...
my cat is throwing up every thing she eat,not much going to bathroom,getting to skinny.,help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/2/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl Lucky isn't feeling well, vomiting, refusing to eat or drink, and if she does try it comes back up immediately.

I suspect she isn't passing much stool because she is vomiting all she eats, thus there isn't much ingesta to make much stool. And of course she is getting very thin because she isn't able to digest and absorb very much.

She is likely dehydrated because she is vomiting, but if even water is making her vomit you need to take it away from her for now.

In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors. But this sounds like this has been going on and has had much more serious consequences then mild stomach upset from eating the wrong things.

More serious causes of vomiting in include viral or bacterial infections, a severe dietary allergy or sensitivity, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), hyperthyroidism, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction. We must also consider the possibility of an abdominal tumor at her age too.

Ideally she would see a veterinarian now. Cats that cannot eat for more than 72 hours run the risk of developing hepatic lipidosis also known as fatty liver disease. This is caused by overwhelming the liver with fats being broken down for energy to live when they don't eat, making the liver unable to function normally.

If having her examined isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but we cannot replace in clinic intravenous fluids and injectable medications so if she isn't responding quickly she should see a veterinarian promptly.

Perhaps you can get ride help from a senior center or call your local shelter or humane society and they may have volunteers to help you get her in to their clinic. Local cat rescue groups will often help out too. Hopefully your local shelter can direct you to the right group to help. If not here are some links to webpages that list organizations that may be able to help:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962#Assistance_by_state

Other sources of help can be found here: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

At home now in the meantime to try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous and hopefully stop the vomiting and improve her appetite. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.

I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers.

In a couple hours when you give her water or clear broth make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water.

If there is no vomiting for 6 hours offer a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it mushy, more palatable and easy to lap up and swallow. Adding broth or warm water will also help get additional fluids into her. If she refuses that, you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it, she needs hands on veterinary care as soon as possible.

But if things go well and she does eat the bland diet and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 3 to 4 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet.

If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower than normal temperature (less than 99F), has a tense painful belly, or if she refuses to eat even after the acid reducer is given she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and supportive care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.