Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 14 year old male cat has excessive drooling

Customer Question
my 14 year old male cat has excessive drooling
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/2/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Excessive drooling can be cause by a few things in cats. The first thing we are going to look for are problems in the mouth. Bad teeth and gums, a fractured tooth, oral ulcerations or other lesions, oral tumors or a foreign body stuck in the mouth. You can try taking a look into the mouth to see if there is anything in there you can notice. This can be difficult in cats, though. I would make sure that there is nothing she could have gotten into or ingested that may cause inflammation in her mouth. This can be anything from chemicals to plants. Another potential cause could be nausea, which can be due to a whole host of underlying causes, from liver, kidney, pancreas, fecal impaction and so on. With the trouble eating, I would suspect that there is something going on in the mouth. You can always try rinsing his mouth out with some water, but that can be difficult as well. Pointing his nose down and using a cup may work best. Also, he can try to drink some milk. That can neutralize some chemical irritants but may cause some diarrhea. Since he is having trouble eating, though, it may be best to have your vet check him out before it gets worse. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian