Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is lethargic, won't eat or drink, straining to poop…

Customer Question
My cat is lethargic, won't...
My cat is lethargic, won't eat or drink, straining to poop with no results except for a clear thick liquid that appear to come from his pee area, not from where his bowels exit
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
There is no sign of diarrhea in the litter box, however hair near his anus had two drops of runny stool. He did urinate earlier today outside the box which is not normal
2/2/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Jess K, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your kitty. How long ago did he urinate? Was it a normal volume of urine or just a small amount?

Approx four to six hours ago and volume seemed normal. He is 8 to 9 months old. Good size and weight. Looks like an adult cat

And are you sure he isn't straining to urinate now? The reason I ask is that in male cats with urethral obstruction (which causes inability to urinate) can have lethargy, and anorexia. And sometimes it can be difficult to tell which a cat is trying to do in the litterbox- urinate or have a bowel movement.

If you press on his belly, is it tense or painful? Especially the lower belly- towards his hind legs?

It feels ridgid but does not seem painful when I press there. He did not tense up or resist. He just went again. Four trips to the box in thirty min all yielding small amount thick clear liquid

Ok. Had he been having normal bowel movements up until now? Has he had any constipation issues in the past?

He went today when I was at work and no past issues of constipation

Ok. And what did the poop look like today, was it normal looking?

it looked normal. I should mention he chewed on a plastic treat bag two nights ago

Do you think he swallowed a portion of it?

It's possible. A few Pieces of plastic missing about this size of a thumb nail bed or smaller

Ok. That small would be unlikely to cause the issues you are describing.

I am still very concerned this could be a urethral obstruction. If he keeps going to the litterbox and straining, and nothing is being produced, and he is lethargic and not eating, it is definitely at the top of my list. And your kitty could be producing small amounts of liquid from the rectum just from all the straining to try to pee. It would be my recommendation to take your kitty to the emergency vet. Unfortunately urethral obstruction is an emergency situation. Here is an article on the condition: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1111

The only way to tell if your kitty is blocked is for the vet to palpate his bladder. This isn't something that is easy to do if you have never palpated a bladder before, so it is not really possible to tell by feeling the belly at home.

Omy gosh he just vomited white froth. I will look into an emergency vet in my area. I don't think we have one

Where do you live? If you call your vet, they may have a number of an after hours emergency vet, or they may have someone on call.

Southern California, Santa Barbara county. I will Google it. Why do you think he vomited foam the size of a half dollar

It is not uncommon for blocked cats to vomit. A combination of the straining, pain, and nausea as a result of the discomfort. If he truly is constipated, then we can see vomiting with constipation as well. If a blockage has been going on for a day or longer, we can see vomiting as result of toxins building up in the bloodstream, but hopefully that isn't the issue with him since he did pee earlier today.

Definitely call around to find an emergency vet, it is worth a drive to be sure your kitty will be ok!

If you have any other questions, please let me know.. If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian