Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Just rescued small cat - about 3 months old - the feral cat…

Customer Question
just rescued small cat -...
just rescued small cat - about 3 months old - the feral cat assoc. did a catch/neuter/release on him - don't know when as it has healed and no physical appearance of process. He is a tabby by markings but silver-gray with white. He looks like he was chewed on by something. Back leg has injuries, feet have looks of long scrapes of skin tissue as in a fight, he has same scraped/bald areas on face and back of neck. His ears are bald on the outside - there are no bumps or signs of flea bites. took him to vet and tests so far are negative. what's up???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/2/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that your little guy has these mystery wounds - I'll do my best to help. I'd like to get some more info:

• Did these wounds/skin troubles appear all at once or gradually?
  • What tests did your vet do that were "negative"?
  • How long ago was he at the vet?
  • Did they prescribe any medication?

If you can attach pictures, that would also be very helpful.

~Dr. Sara

we have only had him for a week and the wounds were there when he arrived on our doorsteps - only places bleeding are on nose and back with most damage - tested for "fecal something", worms, fungus (ringworm), feline leukemia/FIV/FELV combo - strongid, inj. convenia - took him to vet first day then follow-up today- no pictures yet he is in isolation at home and we use gloves and smocks when we handle him
injury bleeding was back leg not back

Thanks for the extra info. It's good that his leukemia/FIV status is clear - this means that his immune system should be healthy. I see that you took him to the vet on the first day and then had a follow up but how far apart were they? Are you seeing any improvement so far?

Based on how your vet is treating it sounds like they're suspicions for ringworm, which is a fungal infection of the skin which can be contagious. If they collected a sample of fur for a fungal culture, that can take at least two weeks to be finished incubating, so depending on what time frame you're dealing with, it still could be fungal. I'm sorry, but I don't think that I can really interpret much more without being able to see the lesions myself - does your vet think that they are really injuries?

Thanks

~Dr. Sara

only been a week - small amounts of fur showing up on front legs and around chin/mouth, vet says back leg which was nearly scraped to bone in places could be injury/bite, and fungal test still working but so far negative. we think he was hiding under a storage shed where it is usually damp and bug/spider ridden but no appearance of bug bites
the area where we live does have many types of wild animals - raccoons, opposums, prey birds, foxes and wild dogs, also armadillos but we think those would have gone for the softer areas like neck and stomach - no damage there

Thanks for all the extra info - two thoughts for you so far -

One - only the kitty knows what happened, and he's not talking, haha. I say that multiple times a day in my practice - there is just so much we wish we could know, but sometimes there's just no way to know what happened to a pet. I've seen some really bizarre looking lesions and never knew where they came from. All you can do is deal with the situation as it comes.

Two - it's been a short period of time, so if you're seeing improvement at this point, that's great - give it more time and continue to follow your vet's instructions. It sounds like you are really doing a great job so far! Many times with cats it's just a matter of time and TLC - they really can heal amazingly well, sometimes even without our help.

If you are able to get any pictures within the next few days I'd be happy to look them over. I'd also be happy to try to answer any other questions you can come up with :)

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara