Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a cat around 3 or 4 months old, and she caught my

Customer Question

I have a young cat around 3 or 4 months old, and she caught my toddler off guard and scared him. He grabbed her by her back leg and flung her off the couch, and for the immediate 10 or 15 minutes she was crying as though she was in a great deal of pain, and favoring the leg by which she was grabbed. The vet in my hometown is remarkably expensive, and after hours, it's even more so. I simply do not have the financial flexibility to afford the bill, I'm a single father and I don't make alot of money. What can I do for the cat? It's been about a half hour and she is no longer crying, and she seems to have an appetite still. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your predicament! Do you see any swelling of the leg anywhere? Does she cry if you touch the leg?In any certain area?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

So the most likely cause of the limping is a muscle sprain. What is recommended in her case is just to rest her for now! Restrict her activity as much as possible for the next week. This can be tough because pets don't know they should take it easy! So what you will want to do is when you aren't able to directly watch her, she should be in a kennel/pen/small area so she cannot run around. Carry her up and down stairs, no jumping on and off furniture, counters, etc. SHe should not be allowed outside if she is an indoor-outdoor kitty.

If you have any sense of the area of the leg which may be bothering her you can also apply an ice pack (always be sure to put a towel or blanket around the ice pack so it isn't directly touching the skin)- a bag of frozen peas works well for this. You can put it on her leg for 10 minutes, a few times a day. If she fights this, then don't bother because her struggle will just make it worse!

If she seems very uncomfortable and can't sleep at night, then I would call your vet to find out about getting a safe pain reliever for her. Unfortunately there are not any safe over the counter pain relievers for cats and many are toxic to them, so don't try to give her anything from your medicine cabinet.

If after a week of rest, she is still limping, or if at any point you do notice swelling, or she becomes MORE painful, then these would be reasons to take her in for an exam and possibly an x-ray.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

The other thing that can happen with trauma as you describe in a kitty is a dislocated hip. With a dislocated hip, pets usually will not bear any weight at all on the leg and will often hold it up in a flexed (bent) position, oftentimes with the knee rotated inwards. If you think your cat looks like this, then veterinary attention is needed as soon as you are able, as this isn't something that will heal on its own at home. Here is an article with some info on that condition: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/hip-dislocation-and-post-op-care-in-cats/281

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Another thing you may consider if it is not improving or you think it is dislocated is looking into whether any humane society or SPCA near you have a hospital.Often they offer services for a reduced price.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.. If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay