Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat was given a depo medrol shot ulcer. the vet also gave…

Customer Question
my cat was given a...
my cat was given a depo medrol shot for rodent ulcer. the vet also gave baytril and wants me to give prednisone pills twice a day. is this not too much meds.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/31/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear your cat has a rodent ulcer. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It would help to know what the doses are; how much Depo Medrol and what strength prednisone pills.

Most rodent ulcers do resolve with steroids. Antibiotics like Baytril are not usually helpful unless the ulcer is infected. I usually give the Depo Medrol injection or prednisolone pills or liquid, not both together. Cats are not as sensitive to steroids as we humans are, and it can take high doses of steroids to resolve a rodent ulcer. Better to give a high dose in the beginning of treatment; low doses may not resolve a rodent ulcer.

Let me know if this helps and what else I can answer or help with.

My question is this. He gave a depo shot then said give pred pills twice a day but to begin the pred after the 5th day that the depo was given. Ive never heard of this is it typical.

Yes, that would not be unusual to start it awhile after the Depo shot. Do you happen to know the strength of the pred pills, and how much Depo was given?

It is prednisone, or prednisolone? I ask, because some cats can't metabolize prednisone so we like to use prednisolone in cats.

Is there anything else I can answer? Is this helpful?

How is you cat doing; is the rodent ulcer getting better?