Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My orange and cat has cat acne, I noticed the little spots

Customer Question

My orange and white cat has cat acne, I noticed the little brown spots on his white chin about 2 weeks ago. I tried wiping it with vitamin E for about 4-5 days, 2 times a day and it did not seem to help. I just purchased ZYMOX Tropical Spray, and apply it to a cotton square and wipe the area 2 times a day. it contains 1.0% hydrocortisone, I have done this for 2 days now, unsure if it is any better. My cat is due for his vet visit in March. In the meanwhile, please provide the best method to keep the cat acne under control and help heal it, or make it go away. I read hydrogen peroxide may help, but, I don't want to sting or cause further irritation to his chin. Please provide the correct dosage, as far as how many times a day to apply, and the exact product you recommend to help him, please be as specific as possible, as far as the product, and what is contains so I can be sure I do not make any mistakes when going forward to purchase. Thank you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear July has cat acne. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

There are several things to try, that I have had success with. Every case is different; what works for one cat may not help another.

You can get Hibiclens at any drug store, and use it to gently clean the chin using a cotton ball or gauze square. Do this twice daily.

You can get benzoyl peroxide gel and apply a small amount to the chin twice daily. It is an acne product you can get over the counter.

I also like Douxo products for chin acne: http://www.douxo.us/dermatology/douxo-dermatology-dogs-pyodermia-pads.html

These you would have to order online.

I also like mupirocin ointment, but this is only available by prescription from your veterinarian if these over the counter products do not work.

Let me know if this helps and what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Was any of this information helpful? Can I answer anything else?