Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat is 17 y.o. female with asthma, which has worsened the

Customer Question
last 6 weeks even though...
My cat is 17 y.o. female with asthma, which has worsened the last 6 weeks even though I'm giving her Prednisolone, 5 mg/day. She's had liquid diarrhea for last 24 hours and has been lethargic for last 6 weeks as well. She was eating well but not for last 24 hours. We had 2 cats staying here with us for 3 months and 3 weeks ago they had very watery eyes. I'm concerned she may have gotten something from them. Also concerned prednisolone may have damaged her kidneys. Any idea what this is? Thank you for any help you can give.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/31/2016
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Button today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Can you tell me what her current respiratory symptoms are? Is she wheezing? Nasal discharge? Eye discharge?

Why do you think her kidneys may have a problem?

How was the asthma diagnosed? Did she have an xray of her chest?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Asthma diagnosed by vet 10 yrs ago, no x-ray done IIRC. No nasal or eye discharge, but wheezing even with meds. I read that steroids can damage kidneys, which is why I wondered about that, also she's 17 y.o.

Asthma can be a challenge to diagnose, but even if she does have it, our goal should be to try to manage it with the lowest dose of steroid possible. Bronchodilators, inhalers, and even antihistamines can help to make that happen. Steroids are not an innocuous drug and if we can find other ways to treat her or at least lower the dose, that is the safest.

Wheezing can be due to other things besides asthma. If she is immunosuppressed by being on steroids and exposed to cats with a viral upper respiratory infection, it may be that is what she is experiencing. Herpes virus in cats usually stays latent in the body and flares up at times of stress or immunosuppression. The liquid stool is a concern and definitely should be addressed by your veterinarian if it persists. In the meantime, I would get her on a probiotic. I like the product by Purina called Fortiflora as it is very effective and well accepted by most cats.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian