Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cats eye won't stop running what do you recommend

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 17 year old girl Maggie and her runny eye. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. As you can imagine, there are quite a number of causes for one runny eye - particularly in an older cat. This could be due to something stuck under the eyelid (lick a bit of dirt, or even a stray hair), a mass on the eyelid, an ongoing conjunctivitis, or even a corneal injury or glaucoma!

If this has been going on for more than a day or two, then you really do need to get Maggie seen by your local vet. Here they need to check that the cornea (surface of the eye) isn't damaged, and that the inner workings of the eye look ok when they use a special scope - an opthalmoscope. They can also check the pressure of the eye to rule out glaucoma and carefully check behind each eyelid for a foreign body or stray hair. In older cats, this can also happen for no real underlying reason, other than due to a blocked tear duct. Your vet will be able to check this with a simple dye test.

For now, continue to carefully wipe her eye for her. Make sure you use something very soft like cotton wool to do this. Cold tea may help this eye if this is due to ongoing conjunctivitis as the tannins in the tea can help to settle a mild inflammation. For this, just make a fresh batch of black tea, let it cool completely, then dip a piece of cotton wool in it and wipe the eye/eyelids gently a couple of times. You can repeat this 3 - 4 times per day if she is tolerating it.

Again - if this has been going on for a couple of days now, you are best to play it safe and get your girl seen today if you can. This is the best step as ruling out urgent issues like glaucoma and a corneal injury are very important here. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.