Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Dear Vets, My cat is elderly 17yrs. She is eating n drinking

Customer Question

Dear Vets, My cat is elderly 17yrs. She is eating n drinking ok, using litter box and still navigating though her hind quarters r weak and i can see she has arthritis. Some trouble getting to a standing position. My question n frustration now is not having money to have her ckd out. Her last examination was 1yr ago. She is my only pet and is "my kid" and friend.
My ability to work has declined more the past 2 yrs. I just had a cardiac procedure done and am not in good health. My work schedule has declined to literally only paying rent n just enough food. I will never be able to have another pet cuz of the expense. Also because of the responsibility, and i'm tired.
Are you aware of any vets in my w.n.y. buffalo area that work from a sliding scale? It's the only solution i can think of. (My cat was diagnosed with kidney failure 2yrs ago).
thank you, wayne
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now I am very sorry to hear about your situation. In regards ***** ***** question, most vet practices are either private companies or belong to a chain of practices and therefore sliding scale payment plans are uncommon. Still, to help you get your lass checked out, I would suggest checking for your local VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital. These 2 chains offer a free first consult and that could allow you to get her checked and sort out having her food dispensed for at least another year. You can find vouchers for this via:

VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer).

Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon).

Otherwise, just in regards ***** ***** options for delicate financial situations like this, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help under the circumstances.

Finally, if she has been doing well despite her ongoing health issues and the need for a calorie rich diet is all you need, then I would note that we can feed elderly cats kitten food in a pinch. Like A/D it has more nutrition per bite and is another way (that is over the counter) to get more fat/calories/protein into her if she isn't eating much. As well, in the same vein, Nutrical pastes can be added to whatever food you feed to just get more nutrients into her. And lastly, I would note that some companies do sell A/D without a prescription (example). So, that could be another loop hole we can use here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Wayne,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Coog. How is everything going?
Dr. B.