Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I was just wondering I have a 9 month old that I was given

Customer Question
Customer: Hi i was just...
Customer: Hi i was just wondering I have a 9 month old that I was given from a friend that could no longer take proper care of him, ( he was never neglected or abused) but he has from time to time clear tears coming from his eyes, she told me he was never vaccinated does that have something to do with it?
JA: I live in Detroit.
Customer: ok
JA: Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. I have three cats myself, so I know how you must feel right now. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Tucker
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tucker?
Customer: Not really he's a very healthy happy, very playful kitten good size and and healthy weight, and likes to get into trouble and has two sisters (not liter)
JA: OK. Got it. Do you think this is urgent?
Customer: not sure its been a weekly thing I thought maybe it was an allergy but its winter and I live in Colorado any ideas?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/28/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How often do you see the clear tears?

Any sneezing?

Any signs of eye irritation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's about every other week sneezing sometimes and there is no other sign of eye irritation.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know this might sound weird and I'm not a hippie or anything like that, but whenever the weather changes (I live in Colorado) from warm to cold or vice versa it seems to spark his weeping like almost allergies?

Thank you,

If we have chronic tearing with no signs of primary eye issues; then we'd have a few concerns for Tucker. Specifically, we can see this related to feline herpes virus, tear duct issues (inflammation, blockage, etc), and with allergies (which can be to something used in your home, pollens, even scented or dusty litter). Of course, with how intermittent his signs sound, tear duct issues may be a wee bit less likely here.

Now with his signs being intermittent and mild, we'd be most suspicious that Tucker may be a feline herpes virus carrier. This is a virus that is life long once caught and not being vaccinated would have been a risk for catching this. Of course, many cats get this from their mums, so that too would have been an exposure risk. In regards ***** ***** we approach this, it can be tested for by having your vet take an oral swab for analysis. Otherwise, since it is life long infection, we do tend to just treat if needed. Many cats will have mild signs as he does and not necessarily need treatment. Though we can use anti-viral medications and L-lysine to reduce viral load. Just to note, in regards ***** ***** L-lysine, its an OTC nutritional supplement that can reduce viral numbers. It comes as a gel, powder or crushable tablet that can be mixed with food and you can again get it OTC at vets, pet stores, and online. An average cat dose is 500mg a day if you wanted to try this with him.

Otherwise, I don't think you sound weird at all, since allergies can be seen in cats and can be more of an issue at certain times of the year. (Though if its more weather changes, that could be herpes flaring up too). That said, we'd want to check the house for any airborne allergens and try removing them. As well, using a paper or wood based litter could also help in case that is a trigger. Otherwise, we can try him with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.25mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for Tucker's signs. Allergies are certainly one of them and we can use the above in a step-by-step fashion to see if we can reduce his signs and get his tearing settled for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for all the information I do know that Tucker's parents did not have the Herpes virus and were always indoor cats and he has always been an indoor cat is there a way for him to still possibly have the virus?

You are very welcome,

I do wish it was that easy. Unfortunately being a life long infecting virus means we can often see asymptomatic carriers even if they don't go outside. As well, since the virus is fairly environmentally robust, we can actually carry it in. So, being indoors and from indoor parents (especially if there is any breeding cattery, rescue or stray history in his cat family line) does't exclude it as a potential cause. But again if it does appear to have a seasonal slant then allergies are also a concern for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would there be any other signs of the virus besides weeping eyes?

Hi again,

In the adult cat, that is often all we will see since the immune system will be trying to counter and subdue the virus (which lays latent in nerve tissue when not flaring up). Though it is possible to see sneezing, coughing, gagging, throat discomfort, nasal congestion/inflamamtion, nasal discharge, eye ulcers (usually spidery looking ones), and eye based discharges related to this virus.

All the best for Tucker,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a great day,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian