Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Could nd leg weakness and pooping outside of box be a sign…

Customer Question
Could hind leg weakness and...
Could hind leg weakness and pooping outside of box be a sign of sonething severe even though there's no other change in behavior?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/28/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your cat today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind. What is your cat doing that leads you to believe that her hindlimbs are weak? How long has this been going on for?

Occasionally when she gets up or turns quickly the one hind leg seems to buckle just a little bit. But she still jumps up on the bed and other spots with no problem. This just started last couple of weeks.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Does it seem to be getting worse since you first saw it for the last couple of weeks? Has she ever defecated outside this litter box prior to this problem? Typically if this is the first time that she has eliminated outside the box then it certainly may indicate that something more serious is going on. Cats by nature tend to hide their illness due to their survivalist nature so not to appear weak to other competitors. So any subtle changes could be indicative of something more serious. In regards ***** ***** leg, is it always the same leg? I would be worried about some type of neurologically issue based on what you are describing

Wow I was thinking more around the lines of arthritis?

Well you can check this if she lets you. On a hard surface you can attempt to flip her hindpaw over on the knuckle and see if she is slow to correct it. If she is then that could be confirmation of a neurological issue. Otherwise with arthritis most cats will show either discomfort or pain when their legs are moved in their normal range/