Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Candy, my cat 's whiskers...they are sparse..they look like…

Customer Question
Candy, my cat 's...

Candy, my cat 's whiskers...they are sparse..they look like they hace been cut

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

They look like they have either been cut off or plucked out unevenly..she is about a year or a little over that..I had her to the vet because she is off and on growling like when she comes up and wants to be picked up and loved and petted, then she will be purring and lovable then she will start growling along with her purring and then just carries it on when you put her down....she's had her ears, teeth and skin checked out for problems nothing came up except she had some mite eggs in her one ear and I got meds for that, she also has a flea allergy, which I have her on a flea prevention (Cheristin) Her whiskers just don't seem right..could she have some kind of hormone imbalance? Her equilibrium and balance are excellent.I want to also get her spayed, but would like to address her problems first. She was a really lovable kitten when I got her...she loved to be picked up by a lot by anyone, especially the little neighbor girl.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure...Thanks

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/27/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before but the expert you have requested appears to be unavailable. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

How long have you seen this whisker change? Any differences to the skin around this area?

If you rub the ones left, do they feel like broken straw at the tips?

How long has she been showing the growling behaviour?

Does she seem sensitive or sore anywhere? Or does she react negatively if you touch any particular area?

Can you take a photo of her whiskers? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.

She has been doing the growing for about six to eight months..she doesn't seem to be sensitive anywherw..just has this attitude problem.. could it be neurological? Could she have a petting point when she has had enough petting....her whisker doen"t look as bad as they did before..she is a beautiful black long hair kitty..I just am baffeled..She's very Healthy too...good appetite,bathroom habits are good., drinks water and likes to play in it sometimes, plays with the other kittys and the toys and then all of the sudden will go after one of them or will just go away growling...and will go and lay down and watch one of them or will just lay there and growl..she doesn"t hurt.or act sensitive to anything....I wull try to get a pic of her and send it...She's so adorable & lovable when she wants to be.. lol Thank you for your time and all on this matter...Candy *************** *********
Her whisker area doesn"t look different..she did have these little tiny sores under her chin..like maybe it eas fleas....I gave her a bath and then treated the area with neosporin and it seemed to clean up nicely..she would growl sometimes when I was treating her but then she would stop the growing and start purring like it felt good..

Hello again,

If you can post a photo that would be helpful, so I can see what you are with her whiskers.

As well, when she has those growling episodes with the other cats and is watching them, do you see her skin or back twitching? If she has these episodes frequently, could you video one for me to see (you can post it on YouTube + then paste the link here)?