Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat is about 15 years old and was diagnosed by vet hospital…

Customer Question
Cat is about 15 years...
Cat is about 15 years old and was diagnosed by vet hospital with a heart condition.
His heart walls are thinning. He was given from a few days to a couple of months to live.
We gave him Lasix and Pemobendan twice a day. We took him back to the hospital 11 months later for a check up. They withdrew 350 mills of water from his lungs. Added half a tab of spironolactone to his meds.
Problem. He has lost a lot of weight and since coming back from the hospital last week, will not take the treats with his pills in them. He refuses all dried food and cries for no reason.
He will eat wet food. He is lethargic now. He does not seem happy. He still is urinates and poops. Is there a liquid version of his meds?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/27/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago
Drhollowayvet

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** and I am licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question.

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

I am sorry to hear about all of your cats troubles. It sounds like he has a serious medical condition that you are trying your best to manage right now.

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

It sounds like your poor baby is in congestive heart failure. These are tough. Spironolactone unfortunately comes in only tablet form. However, it may be possible to get it compounded into a liquid form. I would recommend you ask your veterinarian if that is available to you. They can also get it flavored, so think of your pet's favorite flavor (my pet's is turkey, but they offer things like butterscotch, chicken, etc) to tell the vet when you discuss this.

Cat Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 2 years ago

Does this answer your question? Is there anything else I can do for you?

Cat Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm so sorry to hear that your kitty has been ill. Do you still need our help? I'd be happy to talk with you - just visit the website and reply with further questions after you've reviewed the information discussed so far.

~Dr. Sara