Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat a Persian, about 4 years old has started peeing in…

Customer Question
My cat a Persian, about...
My cat a Persian, about 4 years old has started peeing in the house, any paper or place he can find. I thing he has a urinary problem. Is there a med I can give him? It's very difficult for to take him to a vet
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/26/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Adam, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Adam
Dr. Adam, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Ralston.

Sorry to hear about Boots. This is one of the most frustrating problems with house cats. Actually, it's the number one reason for relinquishment.

The first thing to know is why is Boots doing this. I understand he can be difficult to take to the Vet. Trust me, I know the concern. Sometimes they are hard to see in the office as well! But, we need to be concerned with why he might be wanting to think outside the box.

Urinary infections, crystals, bladder stones, behavior, diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, liver issues, and non-metabolic related behavior can all be the cause here. There's no one pill for that of course.

The first thing I would consider though is that it's the box. Especially if the box is older than 1 year. I usually replace my cat boxes ever 2 years or so. Smells tend to get into the plastic over time, and cats stop using them. Do you smell an odor after cleaning the box out?

Other issues: the box absolutely needs to be completely dumped out and cleaned once a week. I mean everything. Don't just add more stuff to the top after sorting out the feces, and clumps. This is often a problem I have encountered. It has to be done if you want to fix a litter problem. Solids and clumps scooped EVERY DAY or multiple times a day. And once a week the entire box is cleaned out.

IF that is done, the next thing is to bring them back to the box. I recommend Cat Attract. You can find it online and in most stores. Sometimes it is it's own litter. It actually can work. Don't be afraid to give it a try. It might bring your cat back to the box and is an easy fix after making sure the box is clean.

Lastly, make sure the box isn't moved to a new location, and be sure it is an easy to reach area. Keep in mind, even though it may be in the same location as always, a pet can decide they are just sick of the difficulty getting there. Take for example if you have a morning commute to work. For years it is ok, and then one day you just don't want to make that long drive in traffic even more. Location of work is the same, but the commute just doesn't suit you anymore. Same can happen with cats.

Make that box as enjoyable as possible.

Then, consider a trip to the Vet unfortunately.

Because you will want to rule out other medical problems for you cat. And if you cat is not peeing at all, this is a sign that crystals or stones may have blocked the cat and is a medical emergency. So, please watch for that.

In addition I'd like to share this information with you as well.

Here are some options that you can try at home if not done already:

Clean all inappropriate sites with an enzymatic cleaner. Use a citrus deodorant spray or double-sided tape to discourage the cat from visiting problem areas.

(click here for information on the best I have found)
You can consider adding a litterbox in the house (in general when there are issues such as this, the recommendation is to have 1 more litterbox than the number of cats in the house) An example is 3 cats = 4 litterboxes.

You can also add different types of litter in the house (clumping vs non clumping, scented vs unscented)

You can also place the carpet runner you use for desk chairs upside down so the little plastic spikes are facing up - in the area that they urinate - cats do not like to walk on this and will then avoid this area - hoping to use the litterbox.

Aluminum foil is another product they do not like to walk on an can be placed in areas of elimination.

There is also a product, Feliway - which emits a hormone/phermone to reduce stress to help in behavioral situations just like this!
(click here for information on Feliway!)

- Removing the covers of litterboxes so they are more open

- I have even had owners that have purchses storage containes, such as rubbermaid containers, not made for litter but are MUCH larger than cat litterboxes to give them a large area.

- Placing the litterboxes in areas of less traffic in the house to give them more of a private area to urinate (and defecate)

If the urination is marking behavior, and your cat is not neutered, you will want to have him neutered. This behavior is NORMAL in a non-neutered male. And can happen in neutered males and spayed females too.

IF that doesn't help you will want to have a full exam with blood work and urine tests done. Sometimes a behavior is caused by a deeper medical problem that might not be apparent on the surface.

And, one more for good measure :
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/common-cat-behavior-issues/litter-box-problems

I hope this information helps!

Good luck with this difficult problem. If I can answer any more questions for you please let me know.

Thanks,

DrR

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Adam
Dr. Adam
Dr. Adam
Dr. Adam, Veterinarian