Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat may have two different things going on. one is he has…

Customer Question
My cat may have two...
My cat may have two different things going on. one is he has been sneezing, eye discharge, also he had an X-ray that shows a suspicious mass near his spleen. After antibiotics he doesn't have the eye discharge or sneezing. He does still have loose stoole.
Now the vet suggested an ultrasound. Ive already spent so much money and they don't know anything after the X-ray. Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/26/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I am glad to hear that his flu signs sound to be getting under control. That said, if he has developed diarrhea while on the antibiotics, then these are likely linked. This is because antibiotics cannot tell good bacteria from bad ones. Therefore, we can see imbalance of the good gut microflora and thus secondary diarrhea. Now in regards ***** ***** to soothe that, we often will use a pet safe anti-diarrhea. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies (though do avoid Pepto Bismol or anything with aspirin/salicylic acid since those aren't cat friendly). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria (ideal here for your lad). So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI and trying to get those stools back to normal.

Otherwise, this possible mass is a bit more tricky to address. This is because your vet doesn't know what it is (ie blood blister on the spleen, tumor, etc) and therefore cannot really address or treat it. Therefore, in cases like this, ultrasound is an ideal option. This is because its a non-invasive way of looking at the mass (inside and out), what it is attached to, and in some cases we can even use this to guide taking samples of the mass for analysis and identification. And that way we could narrow down what it is and appreciate if it is something we need to remove for him. That all said, since he is older and you do have financial concerns, we need to consider if surgery is an option here. If it is, then an ultrasound would be ideal (or you could even skip straight to surgery and the vet can see the mass as they are removing it). Otherwise, if surgery wouldn't be something you would want him to have, then you could consider skipping all of this and just aim to keep him as comfortable as possible for as long as possible with this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian