Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

We have a cat that came home from the vet with an IV. He is

Customer Question
Customer: We have a cat...
Customer: We have a cat that came home from the vet with an IV. He is pulling at it and we need to remove it. How do we do it?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: He went to the vet hospital with dehydration and he has hyperthyroidism he had an iv for dehydration and meds for hyperthyroidism. The vet discharged today with iv intact in case they had to give fluids again.. vet tech said we could remove it if we needed to
JA: Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Snowy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snowy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. Do you think this is urgent?
Customer: he is just uncomfortable with it in, he's torn the bandage off so I'm afraid he will pull it out himself
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/26/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Does he have an e-collar on? You could run to Petsmart and buy one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, the vet tech said we could remove the iv if needed not sure why they sent him home with it

But it is pretty easy to take out.

First remove the bandage and then the white tape. The white tape will stick to the hair.

The best way to remove it is to put it up a bit and then get the scissor under it.

Just make sure you do not cut the skin.

So once you have the tape off there will be a yellowish soft plastic plug.

That is what you are going to remove.

Pull it out keeping it parallel with his leg.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
any chance this will hurt him?

The white tube catheter slides out easily. It is attached to the yellowish plug but the white part is in his leg vein.

I have never had a client take out the catheter at home.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, does this hurt him. What if he pulls it out?

Hypothetically it could be kinked inside or have a burr at the end and that could hurt the vein when you pull it out.

It is going to bleed a lot once it comes out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think we should leave it alone why would they leave it in?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby I am going to leave it in. and call the vet in the morning

Then you have to apply direct pressure for 15 minutes until the bleeding stops and put a light bandage on it.

I would go to the pet store and buy an ecollar.

If he pulls it out in the middle of the night it is going to bleed.

And he may ingest part of it.

My other idea is to call the emergency clinic and ask if they will take the catheter out without charging you an exam fee.

There is also a spray called "bite not" or "bitter apple" which tastes bad.

They sell those sprays at the pet store too.

You can also cut cardboard in the shape of a cone. Secure the cone around his neck. That is a make shift ecollar.

That is all I can think of at the moment ; )

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian