Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

One of our cats is passing blood in feces. I can't tell

Customer Question
***** *****. One...

***** *****. One of our cats is passing blood in feces. I can't tell which cat because we have 5 cats and all appear to be fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I've also noticed outside a litter box on occasion I find a small circle of blood. And again, I never see which one it is.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

A bit, yes.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/25/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing some bloody stools in and around the box - I will do my best to help.

A small amount of blood on top of normal stools can be simply from a little constipation or mechanical irritation of the rectum as stool is passed. This can be a benign random occurrence or could be due to something like a dietary sensitivity or GI parasites. In these cases, it should be infrequent and random.

Blood or mucus actually inside the stool can be caused by similar issues, plus some others. Again, GI parasites or dietary sensitivities could be to blame, but we can also add inflammatory bowel disease, infectious diarrhea, or other "whole body" diseases that can have an effect on the GI tract. One thing that you can do without having to start separating out the cats would be to get a stool sample to have the vet evaluate for GI parasites. At that time you could also consider asking your vet if you can start a high quality probiotic like FortiFlora or ProBios (your vet likely sells one of these or a similar product). If the stool sample is clear and the problem persists, you'll have to separate out the cats one by one until you figure out who it is that's having the issue and get them seen by the vet.

What other questions can I answer for you?

~Dr. Sara

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara