Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 11 year old cat is having accessory muscle use to breathe

Customer Question
and will only position himself...
My 11 year old cat is having accessory muscle use to breathe and will only position himself sitting upright. When he tries to lay down he begins mouth breathing and sits back up again. His gums are also pale. His appetite and water intake are good and I THINK he is urinating okay. Can you help me please?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/24/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear about Bubba's breathing difficulties. My name is ***** ***** I am a veterinarian.

This is an emergency. The way you describe his breathing and his pale gums and mouth breathing indicate a possibly serious condition such asthma, heart failure, or a buildup of fluid in his chest. He needs a chest X-ray right away to determine what condition he has. If this were my own cat breathing like this, I would be rushing to the clinic to get him oxygen and a chest X-ray.

Please let me know how he is doing and what other questions you have. I hope you can get him to a veterinarian right away.

How is Bubba doing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did get Bubba to the Emergency Vet Clinic where they drained 600 ml of fluid from his pleural space, gave him oxygen and kept him overnight. At 7:00 the next morning they called to let me know he was filling right back up. They suspect a cancer. We had to put him down that morning. Miss him terribly.

I am so sorry to hear about Bubba. My sincere condolences. When there is that much fluid in the chest, it is often cancer. I am sure it is better that he is at rest and not suffering. Thank you for letting me know.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian