Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My normally docile cat bit me on my hand (big knucke area)

Customer Question
yesterday morning when I was...
My normally docile cat bit me on my hand (big knucke area) yesterday morning when I was petting her around one side of her neck. ( I noticed that she was sensitive there a couple weeks ago too, but haven't figured out why. ) A tiny bit of blood came from the tiny puncture wound near my big knuckle of my middle finger and I sucked on that. (Is that a good idea or a bad one?)
I went cross country skiing yesterday, and then lots of opening of junk mail and filing yesterday with no hand discomfort. But in the middle of the night, my hand was very achy. I didn't know if it was from the bite or from using my hand to catch myself as I fell one time on the snow.
When I got up I could see that my middle knucke was red and swollen, and a bit achy, and the site of another puncture (ring finger knuckle) was a little swollen, but not painful.
We have 13 inches of snow here and my car has yet to be dug out. Plus vets are closed for the day.
Any advice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/24/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr B, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

This is DRB and we cannot give human medical advice but we can tell you general information about cat bites. Cats have very very bad bacteria in their mouths and hand bites in humans are considered to be a very dangerous place to be bitten. There have been many reports of people becoming septic and losing fingers or hands to cat bites. The literature around cat bites will tell you that they should always be treated. So you may want to find a neighbor that can take you to an urgent care for medical attention asap. I hope this helps you. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated.Thank you very much.

Can I answer any other questions for you or help you further?

Sincerely, DRB