Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

1 week ago, the 10-month old kitten I am fostering had an…

Customer Question
1 week ago, the...

1 week ago, the 10-month old kitten I am fostering had an E-tube inserted. Although this week has been a bit rough on her, she has been improving a little each day, and is currently getting the nutrition, medication, and fluids she needs. Today, I left her in the care of my husband while I attended a family event... while I was away, she vomited... when I got home, I noticed that her nose seemed wet, and was dripping... I wiped it... it is no longer dripping much. She is resting now, but when she breathes, there is sometimes a bit of a crackle in what sounds like her nose... it sounds almost as if she has a very soft, intermittent snore. She does not seem as though she is in great distress, and is still able to breathe with her mouth closed... do you think she needs immediate veterinary care so see if she has aspirated fluid into her lungs? (Her case is a bit more complicated than this... but this is the current problem).

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

When Luna was 7 months old, she presented with the following symptoms: 'chewing gum' when there was nothing in her mouth, head shaking, and scratching her jaw with her front or back paws. After a number of diagnostic tests and a visit to three different vets, they concluded that she had feline orofacial pain syndrome. We were attempting to find the right balance of phenobaritol and gabapentin to manage her symptoms, when two weeks ago she became constipated, and started vomiting. She spent several nights at the veterinary hospital - while she was there, she still did not eat, and two enemas were unsuccessful at clearing her bowel. Because she had not eaten for over a week, the doctors were concerned that she might develop feline hepatic lipidosis, so she was given a feeding tube one week ago...

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/24/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear about all of Luna's problems. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am worried she may have aspirated, and I would get her checked as soon as you can.

I am sorry you did not get help from an expert before now. I just came

online and saw your question. Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions you have.

How is she doing?

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian