Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat removed from burning house. no burns, just smoke

Customer Question
cat removed from burning house...
cat removed from burning house. no burns, just smoke inhalation. fireman administered oxygen. cat is breathing but cannot pick up his head or us front legs. called my vet but got no answer back. Emergency vet is far away.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/24/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian

Hello Laura,

My name is***** and I will help you.

Pets like humans usually die from smoke inhalation, not the fire. Damage occurs deep in the lungs and there is very restricted oxygen exchange. If you can get an oxygen tank you can continue to administer it. But it sounds as if he already may have brain damage.

However, he is a cat, and they are miraculous creatures and remember they have nine lives.

If you can't get oxygen, try breathing into his mouth and nose gently, not forcibly. If he struggles discontinue it. Be care so he doesn't bite you.

If both lungs are not heavily damaged he may survive, perhaps with reduced lung capacity.

Good luck and let me know how you do.

Laura, When you breathe into his mouth you want to see the chest rise as air goes into the lungs.