Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat is dehydrated now. s belly swollen was outside got

Customer Question
Cat is dehydrated now. His...
Cat is dehydrated now. His belly swollen was outside got frostbite on ears inside now. Belly is huge
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/23/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

If this stray's belly is huge it's effusive - full of fluid - which occurs secondary to infection from the FIP virus or bacterial infection after a cat bite penetrated the abdominal wall, right-sided heart failure, or either renal or hepatic insufficiency. An effusion always indicates serious disease. He may have suffered frostbite but frostbite doesn't cause an effusion. A vet can aspirate a small amount of the fluid and analyze its physical qualities and cellularity in order to better understand the etiology of the effusion. I understand that he's a stray, however, and you would be looking at a considerable expense and his prognosis would still be very poor.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.