Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 12 year old neutered indoor male cat has in the past week…

Customer Question
My 12 year old neutered...
My 12 year old neutered indoor male cat has in the past week or so developed a scan under his chin. I don't notice any unnecessary scratching or irritation. What could this possibly be? should I take him to the vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/22/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Jess K, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty's problem! Is there any way you can take a photo of the area?

Without examining your kitty in person I cannot tell you exactly what is wrong with him, but the most common cause of a scab on the chin of a cat is going to be what we call feline acne! This is a problem where for whatever reason the hair follicles on the chin become clogged and they can get little infected areas. Sometimes this can be associated with plastic water and food bowls, though not always, but if you use plastic bowls, it is usually recommended to switch to metal bowls if your cat has had this issue. Treatment depends on how severely affected a kitty is. Some kitties just require a topical treatment- such as a benzoyl peroxide shampoo several times weekly to clean the area, or a topical gel. Others may require a course of oral antibiotics.

Here is an article about the condition: http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/skin/c_ct_acne?page=show

You can also help the process along by applying warm compresses to your kitties chin to help open up and clogged follicles and encourage drainage. You can take a warm wet wash rag and hold it on his chin for five to ten minutes a few times daily to help with this.

Ideally he would see his vet for them to look at it and decide if oral medication is necessary or if just topical treatment is needed. In the meantime, switch his food bowls and if he will allow you can try the warm compresses. If he is otherwise doing well, it isn't an emergency situation, but should be seen to ensure it doesn't progress and cause a deeper infection.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.. If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Hello, just writing to see if you had any more questions about your cat or if you had received my answer to your question and found it helpful?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay
Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian