Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My rabbit just after eating started sneezing and is

Customer Question
My rabbit just after eating...
My rabbit just after eating started sneezing and snot is everywhere, and now she's calm but has snot bubbles forming from her nose, sounds conjested, and looks like a fish in the aspect of she is trying to lift up and get oxygen is what it looks like. Very abnormal for her, I'm concerned and its late the closest 24 hr vet that can see her is 3 hours away. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/22/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with Princess. While supplemental oxygen would be ideal if she were truly hypoxic (lack of oxygen to her tissues), I understand your logistical constraints.

Numerous infectious diseases are associated with disease of the upper respiratory tract in rabbits; they're due mainly to bacterial agents, but in rare cases, viral, fungal, or parasitic pathogens may be involved as well. These agents also produce lower respiratory disease with classic clinical signs and presentation of pneumonia. The most significant pathogen is Pasteurella multocida and we also find Bordetella, Pseudomonas, and Staphylococcus species.

Treatment of Pasteurella should be our focus. Various treatment options are reported in the literature. Infection was eliminated in 7 of 8 rabbits treated with enrofloxacin (Baytril) at 5mg/kg subcutaneously every 12 hours for 14 days. Enrofloxacin given in the drinking water (50-100mg/L) for two weeks was similarly effective if our rabbits drank enough so that the daily intake of the drug was greater than 5mg/kg. Ciprofloxacin (20mg/kg) by mouth daily for 5 days eliminated infection in groups of rabbits in studies. Finally, Deeb reported success in control of chronic cases of confirmed pasteurellosis using enrofloxacin (5-10mg/kg orally every 12 hours) or chloramphenicol (50mg/kg orally every 12 hours) for up to 2-3 months.

These antibiotics are available from your vet who can also show you how to administer enrofloxacin by injection - my therapy of choice. Please feel free to copy the above and share it with your vet who may not be apprised with the current literature concerning respiratory infection in rabbits. For now, do your best to keep her warm and offer her her very favorite things to eat. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?