Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is v positive one week ago she .went blind is that…

Customer Question
my cat is hiv positive one...
my cat is hiv positive
one week ago she .went blind
is that result of her illness
zrinka
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/21/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Keshi has become blind. While FIV (what you referred to as HIV) might be responsible for her condition, it's not a symptom that I typically associate with it.

There are, however, other possible explanations:

1. Hypertension secondary to kidney disease, diabetes, or hyperthyroid disease or possibly cardiac conditions. High blood pressure is rarely a primary problem in cats but rather secondary to other conditions which can usually be diagnosed with blood work. Blood pressure measurements can also be done in feline patients although it's sometimes difficult to interpret the results if the cat is terribly stressed.

2. Fungal infection such as cryptococcus depending on where you live. I don't see these diseases where I practice so they're not common everywhere.

3. Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP). This may be a more difficult diagnosis to make, but blood work might be suggestive of it.

4. Lymphoma which, unfortunately, is a cancer.

5. Toxoplasmosis usually causes inflammation in the eyes (uveitis) but could cause blindness. This is probably one of the better conditions on the list since it can be treated with Clindamycin although if the patient is blind, in most cases, it's going to be permanent.

6. There are other causes such as retinal disease or glaucoma but aren't quite as common as the above.

If this were my patient, I'd run blood work on her to evaluate her kidneys, thyroid and glucose levels. Then depending on the results, I'd consider or recommend blood pressures.

I hope this helps. Deb

Hi Zrinka,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb