Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My female cat acts like she has to pee every few minutes.

Customer Question
She is even going around...
My female cat acts like she has to pee every few minutes. She is even going around different rooms squatting like she's going to pee. She is still peeing but not every time she's acting like she has to... I took her to the vet they gave her an antibiotic I thought the problem was gone now she's doing it again. What could be the problem and what could be causing the problem???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/21/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** How long ago was this antibiotic prescribed? How long of a course was she on of it? When was her last dose? When on it she returned to normal?

She was prescribed it a lil over a month ago, it was prescribed for ten days . Her last dose was about Three weeks ago or so.. She didn't act normal really, but the blood in her pee was gone, and she was acting like she had to pee every few minutes but still going to the litter box a lot...
Wasn't acting like she had to go every few minutes... Now she back at the same thing she was doing before the anabiotic's ...

Thank you for all that good information. In a situation like this, considerations have to be for the following. A residual urinary tract infection that never was cleared. This would have to be a high suspicion with the clinical signs improving while on the antibiotics. It may have just not been cleared with that course. It may be a situation where a different antibiotic is needed or maybe a longer course. The best thing to do here is to have her seen again and a urine sample evaluated to see if an infection is there. Sometimes a urine culture is needed to determine the best antibiotic. Sometimes an X-ray is good to rule out bladder stones that can present with recurring infections in the bladder. The other consideration is one called sterile cystitis or FUS. This can present exactly like this. Here is a very good link on it that explains it best

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=612

The best thing to do as the next step is that urine evaluation.

I actually was surfing the web before I talked with you and was reading about Sterile Cystitis. Is it a deadly disease, what is the life span with a cat who has it? I did just switch both my cat dry food from kitten chow to adult food. What is the best food to feed them?

The sterile cystitis isn't a deadly disease. It for the most part in female cats is an inconvenience. They have intermittent events of bloody urine and straining to go. Male cats potentially are more serious as they can become blocked in their irinary tract far more easily than females. In my career I've seen around 400 blocked males and 3 blocked female cats. Females just don't get blocked easily. The sterile cystitis cats can live a very long and happy life. The recent change of food could set things off. We still don't know why it happens. Stress is a big thought for it. There is no perfect diet. I recommend feeding what is easily obtained, affordable, what they like to eat and what they do the best on. It varies from cat to cat. I like the big names like Hill's, Eukanuba, Iam's, and Purina.

Thank you, ***** ***** been very helpful..
I should try and get her to drink more water and see if she will eat wet cat foods?

Intake of more water is a good idea in the sterile cystitis situations. More water bowls around the house can help with this. Also a fresh water recirculator can help encourage more drinking. Some do like the wet foods, but the draw back Is typically quicker dental tartar issues. I personally have my cats on all dry food.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?