Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

THOR'S possible FCE or spinal clot thrown! He's

Customer Question
Mobility/Service Dog,also DX, with PTSD...German...
THOR'S possible FCE or spinal clot thrown! He's Mobility/Service Dog,also DX, with PTSD...German Shepherd, Highly trained in Narcotics & firearms detection as well.!!! Without MRI, what should be therapy protocol while @ Foster Parents! Was progressing, but had Major set back last weekend!! What to do???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/21/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for the question.

If you want to know what this is for sure, then you'll need an MRI of the spine. If this is an FCE, then these dogs can have a pretty good prognosis. It usually takes ~ 2-3 weeks to get full function back, so you have to be patient. Physical therapy and time are the important parts of treatment.

If things worsen over the first 1-2 weeks, then I would start to worry about a spinal tumor or disc herniation. Those can require surgery to decompress the spinal cord.

If you're able, I'd get an MRI to know what you're up against. If it's not an option, then I would do range of motion physical therapy, balance exercises and just give him time for 2-3 weeks.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian