Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Same issues cat leaking urine bloody straining to pee and

Customer Question

Same issues cat leaking urine bloody straining to pee and only drops come out. On meds for uti and relaxants for the spasms. Nothing is working. She doesn't seem to be in pain. Also iv hydrating ever2-3 days. Cat is 18 yrs old. Running out of options
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
X-ray don't show any stones and urine analysis no chrystals
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm really sorry to hear that your aging kitty is having such difficulties with her urination. In a case like this where the urinary signs are persisting despite routine interventions like those you've described, there are a couple of other things I'd pursue. The first would be to get a sterile urine sample for culture. In order to do this, we actually take a sample directly from the bladder with a needle. Doing a culture will help eliminate infection as a potential cause, or pinpoint the exact organism responsible for the infection and give direction on what antibiotic will be the best choice for treatment. I would also be doing an ultrasound of that bladder to look for stones that may not show on X-rays (they do exist) as well as swirling debris, "sludge", blood clots, or structural abnormalities like bladder masses or tumors. If your vet hasn't discussed diet, this also is something I would bring up. Some cats have a great deal of inflammation in their bladder that can lead to blood in the urine and accumulation of sand or grit-like debris that is visible on ultrasound. These cats can benefit from a prescription diet like Hills c/d or Royal Canin Urinary SO to decrease the crystalline debris and increase the amount of water flushing through that bladder. I have had some cats who needed IV fluids to help them clear debris from their bladder - and these ones I've seen improved on the prescription diet afterward. There are also a variety of other pain control medications that could be investigated in addition to the anti-spasmodics that your vet is already using (which, by the way, I think can be very helpful).

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara