Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a calico cat that is hungry but she won't eat. She…

Customer Question
I have a calico cat...
I have a calico cat that is hungry but she won't eat. She wants to drink but she just goes up to the bowl and will just sit there and swallow real hard like her throat or something is bothering her. Her breath smells and she just wants to lay there. Sheis losing weight
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/20/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Will Tango let you look at her gums? Any vomiting ?

I can lift the flaps of her gums but she won't open her mouth. She doesn't like you to try to touch her mouth. She isn't vomiting. She was trying to cough up something but it wouldn't come out. Her eye has the bot***** ***** part trying to come over some of her eye. When you try to touch her mouth at all she pulls away. She just keeps swallowing and her neck comes out when she does it. Sometimes her two front paws jerk up.
Does she normally let you touch her mouth? Based on the initial information you have gave me and with her age one medical condition I worry about is called feline stomatitis. This is where the gums become really inflamed due to an immune response from the body. It causes the gums and the inside of the mouth to be really painful
Usually the gum and inside of the mouth are really red with this condition