Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 16 yr old female cat has lost a considerable amount of…

Customer Question
My 16 yr old...

My 16 yr old female cat has lost a considerable amount of weight and has,for 2 days quit eating. she seems to be preparing herself for death. she doesn't appear to be in any pain. should i take her to a vet or let her go in peace?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She has always enjoyed good health, until recently. if it is diabetes or hyperthyroidism, should I seek help. 16 is pretty old for a cat and I don't want to subject her to any trauma, if unnecessary.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/19/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear of this with your 16 year old. It's reasonable to assume that her profound weight loss and now complete anorexia indicate life-threatening disease; however, making the decision whether to have her attended to by her vet or allowing her to die unaided would be placing the cart before the horse. Unless she is examined, we can't know whether or not she can be helped. In general, I'm uncomfortable not knowing if I could have helped such a patient but didn't. Too many disorders result in very unpleasant symptoms (shock, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, convulsions) as these disorders approach end-stage (near death). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian