Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I care feed a cat who was abandoned when s owner, a neighbor

Customer Question

I care for and feed a cat who was abandoned when his owner, a neighbor moved away. He has no front claws but stays out in the yard a lot. He got into a fight with another cat and has a puncture wound on his neck. I saw wound care ointment at the grocery store but it was for dogs. What can I use to help this cats wound to heal. I am a single mom and was recently laid off from the energy industry. I do not have an extra $100 to take this cat to the vet. Please help!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for wanting to help out Gray. I'm always touched when I can interact with individuals that have this great of compassion for animals. Thank you for this. Do you feel that even with this wound that he's still eating and drinking well? What does this wound look like? Is it just a puncture?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bruce....Thanks for helping us. He is hiding behind my couch and not his usual self at all. He did eat the broth from some cat food and a small amount of dry food. He is drinking a little.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is good that he ate that broth and some cat food! Also good that he's drinking a little. Do you think you can take a picture of it and post it here with the paper clip icon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is hiding and seems anti social. I can't really get into the spot where he is hiding. Can I wait until he comes out and then take that photo?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely. I'm going to be on here intermittently through the evening. I'm very curious to see what you're seeing. Sometimes some cat fight wounds aren't that bad and sometimes they can be more challenging.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks so much....I have grown to love this BIG (probably about 17lbs) cat and don't really understand how his owners could just move away and leave him behind. He's a nice animal.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Some people are just that way. I can't explain it and I wish I could fix that!