Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Cannot find friend nor family member to care 2 cats while I

Customer Question

Cannot find friend nor family member to care for my 2 cats while I go out of country for 30 days. I am now a frequent flyer and want the best care possible for my cats.
In home pet sitting is not an affordable option at this time.
Question: How does boarding cats for 30 days at a time affect their character?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question. In response to your question about how does boarding a cat(s) for 30 days at a time affect their character? In all honesty, it shouldn't affect their long term personality / behavior. While being boarded, they may not have the most stimulation / socialization. They may have a little more stress from being in the new environment with the new smells and sounds. For the most part though, they should be their normal personalities once they have returned home. The unknown is how "stressed" they may be at the clinic. The good news is that they will be at your vet's facility where they can be looked at very closely if they seem to be more stressed. They can then address the situation better than if they were at a boarding facility not run by a vet.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

One option with cats that some owners are able to set up is to have cat sitters / watchers stop by every 2 to 3 days to make sure they are doing well. On these intermittent visits, the liter boxes can be scooped (urine production and stool production can be monitored), food bowls can be filled, water bowls filled and they get a little socialization. Would it be possible for visits of these frequencies to be set up?