Thanks for your response. I ended up staying up all night so I could take Patrick O'Malley somewhere if he started breathing through his mouth. His breathing was fast and labored all through the night, but he didn't do any open mouth breathing (that was the condition my vet told me would warrant bringing him back in the night) so we went to the vet again this morning. The opacity on the radiographs was more diffuse than the night before, and the vet told me that could indicate asthma, heart disease, or cancer, and that it was difficult to tell the difference sometimes on a radiograph. So... I took the cat to a veterinary school so that he could be seen by a cardiologist, a pulmonologist, or an oncologist...whatever he needed. The only drawback is that it was a*****..so it made me a bit crazy wondering how he would do on the trip. But we got there. They did an ultrasound of his heart and decided that he has a mitral valve prolapse...and that is why he has a murmur. They said that the left atrium is not very enlarged yet. They are giving him heart meds tonight and seeing if his breathing improves. Otherwise, they will have to see if the breathing issues are different from the heart valve problem. They also said that his kidney
values are high. The BUN is something like 85 and the creatinin is about 3.9. He just had blood work done in September, and the kidney values were normal. He was also eating well up until about Sunday afternoon, and then very suddenly stopped eating (and as a matter of fact looked nauseated if I tried to tempt him with food
). I think that the heart issue, the breathing issue, and the nausea/kidney problems all happened suddenly at the same time. I don't know what would have triggered the sudden issue with the heart value since there was no indication of a murmur or shortness of breath until all of a sudden. I sort of suppose that if there was a problem with the heart that the kidneys might not have perfused well enough, and so there might be a problem from that. My question tonight is... is there any chance that the kidney issue is acute, and that it will return to normal or near normal if he responds to the heart medications they are giving him? The doctors keep telling me that a heart/kidney combination is very difficult to treat, and I can understand why...I'm just wondering if treating one can help the other as well...Sorry...just looking for any hope... I lost two cats in the last 8 months, and am worried about losing a third. This is tough on me, and although I know that no vet can give me a guarantee, I'm wondering if there is any hope at all, and I'm wondering if there are any good questions I should be asking at this point of the vet.