Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

He vomits usually 3 times in one episode and a few episodes

Customer Question

He vomits usually 3 times in one episode and a few episodes a day. As many as 3 episodes a few days ago. No diarrhea that I've seen in box. Gums appear fine and he didn't react when I pressed on his belly. He seems to keep water down ok. I just started prilosec yesterday so too soon to tell. I don't know if he ate anything. I live alone so they are alone when I'm at work but it's never been a problem before. They do already eat sensitive stomach blue buffalo
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

First, I am glad to hear that he is on a sensitive stomach friendly food. Now if you did start the Prilosec yesterday, then we'd want to start seeing some improvement within the first 24 hours. If we do, then a benign stomach upset would be most likely. That said, at Sebastian's age, we do have to be wary of other issues. Hairballs can cause these signs; so it'd be advisable to treat with hair ball treatment like Catalax or Laxatone just now. That said, at his age we could also see this related to GI infection, pancreatitis, and secondary to metabolic (ie thyroid disease, etc) or organ issues (ie kidney, liver disease).

With this all in mind, you are on a good standard treatment just now. If he settles with the diet, Prilosec + hairball treatment; then we'd be happy that this was a benign upset. But if he doesn't, then we'd want to have his vet examine him +/- check a general blood profile to make sure that we don't have anything more sinister that we'd need to treat to nip in the bud for him.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! No episodes in 2 days, the Prilosec is working wonderfully. Back to his normal self. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Perfect.

I am glad to hear that its working a treat and hopefully this was just a wee benign GI upset for him. :)

Take care and All the best,

Dr. B.