Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My name is ***** *****. I took my 7 yr old cat to urgent

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is ***** *****. I took my 7 yr old cat to urgent care yesterday because she isnt eating anything and is very lethargic, the diagnostics is going to run upwards of $700 and I simply cant afford it so they gave me some special food and told me to feed her with a syringe. She's been urinating herself all night and I seriously thought she was about to take her last breath, however she JUST started drinking water on her own.....I don't really know what answer Im looking for, Im just googling away....Im hoping to get her through today to get her to a more affordable clinic in the AM
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Basically I noticed she wasnt eating around the middle of last week. I got her some wet food, which is normally a huge treat for her, and she barely touched it then by Friday she was soooo lethargic and not responding to me. She went from lethargic to basically a limp ragdoll within 24 hours so I took her to urgent care she was severely dehydrated, but I couldnt afford the tests to figure out whats wrong w her. Ive been feeding her 5mg of food every couple of hours
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: she's drinking water on her own now - sure!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is essentially just sitting in own urine, like its slowly "leaking" out and saturating her bottom....not sure if that makes sense....
Expert:  BestFriendsVet replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Vaino. With limited funds, there are actually several inexpensive tests that can rule out several things that can rule out some common cat illnesses. The first thing I'd suggest is to have her blood sugar tested. She may be diabetic. If she's been diabetic for some time, she may have progressed into ketoacidosis and that is very serious. Blood sugar levels can be tested with a hand-held glucometer, and with a urine dipstick, you can see if she's producing ketones in her urine. These are inexpensive tests. I'd also ask your vet, if she's not diabetic, to run a simple PCV and total solids, along with an azostick and a urine specific gravity. These tests will tell you if she's anemic, and the azostick will help rule out kidney failure. However, a high result on an azostick must be compared with her urine specific gravity, which is only accurate on a simple instrument called a refractometer (the urine dipstick is notoriously inaccurate on this test). A high Azostick (BUN level estimate) can mean either kidney failure or severe dehydration, and only the urine specific gravity (ie. how concentrated the urine is) can discern between the two.

If she is not diabetic and not in kidney failure, then more advanced diagnostics will be needed (ie. full panel bloodwork, x-rays, etc) and, she is a bit young for this, buy hyperthyroidism is also possible (which, if left untreated for too long, can lead to kidney failure).