Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

Cat is vomiting, panting, crying out and can't use back legs

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. Has your cat been outside at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have indoor plants that he could have gotten into
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Give me a minute to compose my answer for you.......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

So, unfortunately what you have described fits best with a diagnosis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. This is a very serious heart disease that young male cats can get. It causes them to throw a blood clot to their femoral arteries and oxygen is cut off to their hind limbs. This is very very painful for them and without treatment he will die and will suffer a very painful death. You need to take your kitty to the ER immediately. There is absolutely nothing you can do for him at home. Please let me know if you have additional questions.....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

This is one of the most serious medical emergencies we deal with in hospital....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you. I'm not sure my vet is open today. We are in a very small town.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

You need to locate an ER even if you have to drive to another town. Would you like me to help you with that?

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I can help you find somewhere to take him. He will either have to be treated or humanely put to sleep. This causes very terrible pain for them in their legs....

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Your vet is supposed to either be on call or have an after hours service available. That is required by law.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I am online for a little bit longer so please let me know if you need anything else at all. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I am checking back in to see if you need anything else.Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kit,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B