Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My daughter has a cat that we found as a kitten but she is…

Customer Question
My daughter has a cat...
My daughter has a cat that we found as a kitten but she is semiferal. She is peeing in the house for about nine months now. Medically checked out, was told it is behavioral. I spoke to an animal communicator who said she is not happy, the home is unbalanced. there are two children who love the animals, two dogs, who the cat loves and another cat who has no problems. what to do? my daughter can't have this in her home, but she can't give the cat prozac, which was recommended because she can't even touch the cat half the time
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I will share the methods that have worked for me.

Try another type of litter. Some cats refuse litter that others like.

Put multiple litter pans throughout the house.

Don't get upset and scold the Ruby when she has an accident. Use a calm voice.

Use a phermone like FELIWAY on spots where Ruby urinates.Your vet may have it and I think it is available on Amazon. Get a small bottle to try. It is expensive.

Is Ruby only an indoor kitty?

Look at the pattern of accidents. Is she a repeat offender, urinating in the same place frequently?

Is she urinating near the outside walls of rooms?

Never clean an accident spot with an ammonium product. To a cat it smells a lot like urine.

OK, Now it is your turn to answer my questions.

Ruby was found outside with an ear tip - already spayed, TNR, but she was a kitten. She has never been really friendly. She calls the shots of when she wants to be petted. She pees in the same spots. by the front door, in the clean clothes laundry basket, on the steps, I don't know what my daughter uses to clean the spots, but I could check with her. The other cat, Nacho, is fine. no problems. We don't know if we should try to rehome Ruby if she is unhappy in this house. This is a normal house with two children, ages 4 and 6, noisy at times, and my daughter suffers from anxiety and I'm sure yells. Ruby is not urinating on the walls.

Oh, one more question. Approximately 9 mos. ago when Ruby began inappropriate urination was there a change in the household.

Examples are a move, new pet, death of a pet, new person in home, new floor coverings, additional stress in home?

When they got Ruby they were in an apartment due to a fire in their home, they moved back in the house after they had Ruby for two months - she was about five months old.. so she had never been in the house before the fire. everything was new
I was thinking of taking Ruby in my home - I have seven cats and my home is calm. Only me and my mother. I am worried Nacho, the other cat will miss her, but my daughter and husband will not deal with this much longer. I had a cat who sprayed because I do animal rescue and he would smell the male cats in my garage recuperating after I TNRd them. I was able to give him prozac, but you can't even catch Ruby. She is really more feral than not.

Have your daughter look at these questions. If after trying the suggestions Ruby still pees outside of the box then your daughter must think about what is best for her and Ruby. If Ruby is a source of stress to your daughter who has anxiety, it sounds like a no win situation for both of them.

Your daughter should not feel bad about letting Ruby going to a new home.

It certainly is worth a try. This is always such a hard and emotional situation.

We can continue this dialog - even after the rating - if you would like. I am here to help you.

If you do take Ruby be sure to introduce her slowly to the other 7 cats. But I'm sure that you already know that.

You sound like a very kind cat lady. I say that with much admiration as one cat lady to another.

Thank you so much. I am good with your responses and will try. I am taking a cat that I found on the street to a no-kill rescue group tomorrow because I have tried to keep her - since October, but I have an older female, age 12, who is making her life miserable and I know it won't work out, so I have to do what is best for Wednesday, the one I found. thank you for your kind words.

You are most welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Marta Lepes
Good evening Doctor. I have a flip phone so I don't have access to email unless I go on my computer. It was either have a nice phone or feed the feral cats, ha... I told my daughter your suggestions and she is going to try them. Ruby jumped up on the washer today and peed in the laundry basket. I also spoke to my niece today who has a friend who just had to put her cat down and she is grieving. She saw a picture of Ruby and is very interested. We are going to set up a meeting. I need to talk to this person though to let her understand Ruby is semi feral. A lot of people don't know about ferals, so I want her to fully understand. thank you for all you do for the animals. They need us

Hello Judith,

I'm so hopeful this will work. By preparing this woman the chances for Ruby are much improved. As long as she is not expecting Ruby to be like her previous cat. Let's think positively that this will become Ruby's perfect home.

I have been notified that you still have not submitted a rating. Could you please do that?

Thank you,

Dr Marta

Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Cat Veterinarian