Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 14 year old cat has started urinating all over the house

Customer Question

My 14 year old cat has started urinating all over the house but there is no odor. She is also defecating on rugs. Seems strange that the urine does not smell. What could cause this behavior?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your cat. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having difficulty with your kitty urinating and defecating outside the litter box.

Both diabetes and kidney failure can cause a cat to have excessive thirst and urine production that can lead to very dilute urine that may not have a smell like we normally expect. The overload of urine can also cause the cat to have such urgency that they no longer make it to the litter box. There are other diseases that can cause a cat to drink a lot and have dilute urine, but none are as common as kidney disease or diabetes. I would definitely recommend having her examined by your vet to make sure that her sugar and kidney values are OK. The vet will need to run some blood work and possibly a urine test to determine if there's a medical reason for her inappropriate eliminations. If there's not a medical issue, then we can definitely discuss behavioral litter box issues in depth - let me know :)

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)