Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Help. My very old girl cat who is in perfect health, just

Customer Question

Help. My very old girl cat who is in perfect health, just ate the tip ball section of a pork rib. It had a little meat on it and she hasn't chewed on any bone in many years. I thought she would grab the bite of meat off it and leave the bone. She's always so finicky I never dreamed she would eat the bone itself! The connective tissue will dissovlve of course but the bone ball area was like a big marble, maybe end of thumb size. She's a tiny 4-5 lb cat. Can I give her some sort of oil to help it go thru?? Or that sticky honey stuff that makes hair balls come up (no clue how that works). Please tel me what to look for and what I can do to keep it from getting stuck in her. She's so old 18, I'm sure surgery would not be a good choice if it gets stuck. She's my baby. I don't know what to do. ([email protected])
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

You don't need to do anything here. That piece of bone should dissolve just fine in the stomach acid. I would not try to give any oil or speed up the digestion. I would want it to sit in the stomach for a good 2-4 hours getting chemically digested in the acid. That will help it pass through the gut without issues.

Cats will often times eat whole mice and rats. They dissolve the skulls of these animals, so there shouldn't be an issue with this small piece of bone.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I look for that would be a problem ?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

The main thing to watch for is vomiting. If she starts vomiting, then get her in for an exam and x-rays.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do- thank you !!!!!!!!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Happy to help.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?