Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Help. My very old girl cat who is in perfect health, just

Customer Question
ate the tip ball section...
Help. My very old girl cat who is in perfect health, just ate the tip ball section of a pork rib. It had a little meat on it and she hasn't chewed on any bone in many years. I thought she would grab the bite of meat off it and leave the bone. She's always so finicky I never dreamed she would eat the bone itself! The connective tissue will dissovlve of course but the bone ball area was like a big marble, maybe end of thumb size. She's a tiny 4-5 lb cat. Can I give her some sort of oil to help it go thru?? Or that sticky honey stuff that makes hair balls come up (no clue how that works). Please tel me what to look for and what I can do to keep it from getting stuck in her. She's so old 18, I'm sure surgery would not be a good choice if it gets stuck. She's my baby. I don't know what to do. ([email protected])
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
1/14/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello.

You don't need to do anything here. That piece of bone should dissolve just fine in the stomach acid. I would not try to give any oil or speed up the digestion. I would want it to sit in the stomach for a good 2-4 hours getting chemically digested in the acid. That will help it pass through the gut without issues.

Cats will often times eat whole mice and rats. They dissolve the skulls of these animals, so there shouldn't be an issue with this small piece of bone.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

What should I look for that would be a problem ?

The main thing to watch for is vomiting. If she starts vomiting, then get her in for an exam and x-rays.

Ok will do- thank you !!!!!!!!

You're welcome. Happy to help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian