Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a cat. Her eye is kind of bulging and she can't close

Customer Question
it all the way....
I have a cat. Her eye is kind of bulging and she can't close it all the way.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/11/2016
Cat Veterinarian: Jess K, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your kitty. Is there any way to take a photo of your kitty's eye to post here? How long has this been going on for?

Ok. Is she rubbing the eye? Any discharge or tears? Is she eating and drinking? How old is she and is she an outdoor cat???

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No she's not rubbing it. She's eating and drinking. She's an inside cat. No discharge. But she's sneezing, I wouldn't say a lot. But I wouldn't say a little either

Unfortunately, I do not think this is a problem you are going to be able to manage at home. There are several different things that can cause a kitty's eye to bulge in this manner. These include glaucoma, trauma to the eye, a retrobulbar abscess (this is an abscess or pocket of infection behind the eye), and a tumor behind the eye. The medication you have will not treat any of these conditions, it is really primarily used to treat bacterial conjunctivitis,

Conjunctivitis can cause green/yellow discharge and swelling of the eyelid and the conjunctiva (the shiny pink area inside the lid and around the eye),but in these cases any swelling is of the lid, and may cause the lid to swell shut, but not for the eye to bulge. She needs to have the pressure in her eye tested and have the inside of her eye examined with an ophthalmoscope.

Also, the sooner you get her into the vet, the better, as the longer her eye is bulging in this way, the more likely damage is occurring in the retina or optic nerve.

Please let me know if you have any other questions for me. If you do not, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck with your kitty!

Hello? Are you still there? Just wanted to be sure you didn't have any other questions before I leave my computer!!!

Hello? Just checking to see if you got my response? If you had any questions? Please take a moment to RATE our conversation or reply that you got the information in your message so that we can know if you were satisfied. The only way in which I receive compensation for helping answer your question is if you acknowledge in some way you received the information and found it helpful. Thank you.

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Cat Veterinarian