Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My kitty is coughing and lost her meow
, He lost lots

Customer Question

Customer: My kitty is coughing and lost her meow
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He lost lots of weight in last few months and just started this coughing today. He throws up sometimes too.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your kitty. Coughing and a change in vocalization often indicates infection with the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1). I'm concerned, however, that this virus may have become problematic because your kitty is immunocompromised by another virus such as FeLV (feline leukemia virus) and/or FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus). His loss of weight and now vomiting is consistent with chronic infections with those viruses. How old is your kitty? Are his vaccines current? Was he tested for FeLV/FIV when you adopted him?