Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My cat will not let you touch s stomach he's in pain

Customer Question

My cat will not let you touch his stomach he's in pain
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. What does he do when you touch his stomach? Do you know if he is urinating normally? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He tries to bite, his yrune was very strong, so I had been trying to make him drink water, but I notice the last few days thelitter box was dry and he's been acting sluggish. I though he was going when he went outside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Urine was strong
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks. I believe he may have urinary tract infection or blockage. If he is not having any g.i. signs that would be a common cause of abdominal pain on palpation. So, it is important that you lock him inside and monitor him. Make sure he is able to pass urine. If he squats to go, and not even a few drops come out, that is a medical emergency.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Because if the urine can not get out of the bladder it can back up into the kidneys and leak potassium which slows the heart and can lead to death.

So if he can not pass urine take him to the emergency clinic so they can unblock him.

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

If he is able to pass urine then take him into a regular vet tomorrow morning to be checked for a urinary tract infection.

That is not something you can treat at home unfortunately.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I wasting my time?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

I can not make phone call right now

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

If another expert is available they will call.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There isn't anywhere we can take him tonight. So the vet in the AM is the only option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No call necessary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr RB and I agree with Dr. Gabby. In the event that he has a urinary blockage, this is medical emergency that will need immediate attention to avoid bladder rupture and uremia (e.g from toxins he cannot excrete in his urine being absorbed into his blood stream. You are not "wasting your time" in asking but we are all medical professionals who give the real advice and may not always be the most convenient answer, unfortunately.